Benefits of Talk Yoga™
Talk Yoga™ is engaging and exciting!
Talk Yoga™ provides structure that yogis need, but also allows for creativity and freedom
while they engage in speech and language enrichment.
* Improved expressive language
* Enhanced ability to recall information and follow directions
* Improvement of articulation abilities
* Growth in social skills
* Use of modulated movement to sustain attention and participation
* Use of self-calming and relaxation strategies
* Stimulation of sensory systems and motor learning/planning
* Added happiness and self-confidence
“Empirically based research indicates that exercise enhances general cognition, and every speech pathologist notices that when a child is engaged in movement, such as in co-treatment with a physical or occupational therapist, more spontaneous and complex speech occurs. Pairing physical movement with language learning appears to enhance recall abilities and stimulate novel, appropriate language."
Due to the novelty of this concept, formal research is limited, but it is growing in a body of anecdotal evidence! The following links support our efforts of combining the gifts of yoga with speech and language intervention.
Integrated Movement TherapyTM: Yoga-Based Therapy as a Viable and Effective Intervention for Autism Spectrum and Related Disorders
Integrated approach to yoga therapy and autism spectrum disorders
A Calming Influence
*If you are still looking for some solid reasons why yoga and speech and language work well together, take a look at these 25 reasons!